Helen is right:
“Having a realistic estimation of one’s talents is a virtue, and having enough self-respect to be willing to suffer humiliation is, too. These two virtues yield utterly opposite styles of argumentation and I can’t imagine why they are both called "humility." I am more interested in the latter kind. In the same way that every man will eventually die, every man will eventually be wrong. The dogmatist never accepts this; the pragmatist accepts this before he begins; the humble blogger knows his humiliation is coming, but argues assertively until it arrives, secure in his confidence that, when it does, it won’t be that bad.”
I hate humiliation. Oh well.
I suppose it all comes around anyhow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh, humiliation can be so great -- it's sort of cathartic to realize you're wrong and then to admit it in front of the whole internet, if only because you feel special because it seems like no one ever does it.
Of course, I only feel like that sometimes.
And also, I'm not technically sure how humble it is, when I put it that way.
Yeah, I had the distinct impression of having a flaw pointed out when I read that, too. Back in the day, I was perfectly fine with risking being WAY wrong, but somewhere along the line that fell out. (I think I began conflated 'being wrong' with 'sounding stupid.') So maybe blogging's a way to try and fix that?
I guess I ought to try to go out on some more limbs. What's the harm?
Post a Comment