31 January 2009

Someone take the baton, please.

So Culture11 is done, though I don't know when the site will go down. I'm sad that it didn't work out, but I'm sure the bloggers will find new haunts or return to their old ones in due time. (John Schwenkler's got some links for you.) What I'll miss is the articles: the range and energy of the young writers they found, some on their first commissions, exploring weird corners of the world. I was pretty sold on Conor Friedersdorf's take on journalism, and it was great to see him put it into practice.

With some tweaking, I think the formula could work again. Maybe a better site design, maybe a less explicit commitment to conservatism. Then again, maybe I'm just wishing again that everyone on the planet had the same taste as me.

Joshua TreviƱo has written an analysis of why the business model didn't work, etc. It seems pretty smart to me.

No comments: