03 January 2009

New-man? Knew, man!

From the preface to Cardinal Newman's The Idea of a University (if you're a Catholic who loves the life of the mind, I'm sure you've already seen this):

“When the intellect has once been properly trained and formed to have a connected view or grasp of things, it will display its powers with more or less effect according to its particular quality and capacity in the individual. In the case of most men it makes itself felt in the good sense, sobriety of thought, reasonableness, candour, self-command, and steadiness of view, which characterize it. In some it will have developed habits of business, power of influencing others, and sagacity. In others it will elicit the talent of philosophical speculation, and lead the mind forward to eminence in this or that intellectual department. In all it will be a faculty of entering with comparative ease into any subject of thought, and of taking up with aptitude any science or profession.”

Ah, the benefits of a liberal education.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you reading Newman? If so, can you blog your thoughts? I read Idea of a University and Apologia Pro Vita Sua this summer and would enjoy the dialogue.

william randolph brafford said...

I was thumbing through it; I don't think I'm going to make the attempt in earnest quite yet. I'll let you know when I do.