11 November 2008

Psychology and demonology.

Something always strikes me as a little bit off when I read articles on society-level psychology. See, for example, “happiness studies,” or levels of niceness. This is largely because that sort of thing seems to be completely inapplicable to the actual decisions I have to make. Say I have a bundle of research that tells me what makes most people happy: how in the world to I apply it? Straining for objectivity might work for policymakers, but it’s never rung true for me. (Perhaps some people find that clinical descriptions of their psychological situations give them a sense of control; if so, these people are clearly neurotic.) And, really, what could we find that hasn’t been somehow observed before? I mean, we couldn’t see cells before the microscope, but we’ve always had some kind of access to our own thoughts.

I can’t even think about this topic without recalling Reverend Darcourt’s drunken rant near the beginning of Robertson Davies’s novel What’s Bred in the Bone. Darcourt, a theologian and Anglican priest, has loosened up after an evening of wine and conversation with two dear friends, and he becomes voluble:

“Well, science is the theology of our time, and like the old theology it’s a muddle of conflicting assertions. What gripes my gut is that it has such a miserable vocabulary and such a pallid pack of images to offer to us—to the humble laity—for our edification and our faith. The old priest in his black robe gave us things that seemed to have concrete existence; you prayed to the Mother of God and somebody had given you an image that looked just right for the Mother of God. The new priest in his whitish lab-coat gives you nothing at all except a constantly changing vocabulary which he—because he usually doesn’t know any Greek—can’t pronounce, and you are expected to trust him implicitly because he knows what you are too dumb to comprehend. It’s the most overweening, pompous priesthood mankind has ever endured in all its recorded history, and its lack of symbol and metaphor and its zeal for abstraction drive mankind to a barren land of starved imagination. But you, Maria, speak the old language that strikes upon the heart. You talk about the Recording Angel and you talk about his lesser angels, and we both know exactly what you mean. You give comprehensible and attractive names to psychological facts, and God—another effectively named psychological fact—bless you for it.”

Now, I obviously can’t endorse the statement that God is an effectively named psychological fact, but it does give one something to think about. But I think I can go most of the way there with demons. Why should vain moderns mock Martin Luther for writing that he was tormented by demons? That’s exactly how clinical depression can feel. Calling it a demon gives you something to fight—and a way to disassociate your soul from its disease.

Is it all right to read the New Age movement as an attempt to re-name some of these “psychological facts” in an apprehensible way? Would New Age writers disagree with that characterization? More importantly, how do we deal with the dissonances of the metaphorical perspective? If you know your depression is not really a strange small fellow whispering in your ear, can you sustain the image? Or are you be better off viewing yourself as in the cold light of the laboratory?

C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien set for themselves the goal of reinvigorating the Christian imagination. They’ve certainly helped, although the section of any bookstore for “Christian literature”—that abomination!—makes it clear that we still have a ways to go. In the end, the task is to keep searching for “language that strikes upon the heart,” but to make sure that it strikes truly.

N.B.: I’m not against psychiatric medication. Not entirely, anyway.

4 comments:

Wandering Americain said...

God, that's a lovely quote. Is the rest of the novel worth reading?

Brendan Case said...

Before we discuss dealing with dissonance, ought we not first consider the distinct possibility that the chemical imbalance that leads to clinical depression is merely the impression left by a demon's presence? I'm not saying every manifestation of mental illness is evidence of such a presence, why need the physical effects of an illness impinge upon its spiritual reality? If, that is, we believe in demons. I believe it is in fact What's Bred in the Bone that ends with the love potion and the curse, and so raises this same question of causality: isn't Davies in fact suggesting that there might be more ways of understanding natural phenomena than merely as a chain of material causation? Simply noting how something happens doesn't mean understanding why, or to what purpose, it happened.

Brendan Case said...

I should note as well that I am also not opposed to psychiatric medication. At least, not in principle.

william randolph brafford said...

Wandering Americain,

I've read most of Davies's novels, and I recommend all of them enthusiastically. I started from the beginning, so I'm not sure what it would be like to begin with What's Bred in the Bone. I'd recommend starting at least with the first book in the Cornish Trilogy (of which WBitB is the second book).

The first trilogy (Salterton) is mostly humorous, though it isn't shallow. The second one (Deptford) is his most acclaimed.

Brendan,

Wasn't the curse in The Rebel Angels?

Davies's joke, of course, is that the Recording Angel is real, and listens in on Darcourt's rant, and then proceeds to tell the rest of the story...

I'm going to leave it hanging here, as I'm not prepared to try to get in to the nature of the existence of spiritual entities. In what sense can something be said to exist if it doesn't exist physically (and it isn't the ground of all being)? Deep, dangerous waters, I think.