02 May 2011

Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

If anyone reads this blog, lives in New York, and didn't hear it from me in person last weekend, Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams is another treasure of a documentary, and should be seen in the theater. I'll spare you an attempt at a description of the quality of the limitedness I felt when staring at resonantly beautiful art made by humans who lived in Europe three hundred centuries ago.



Here's hoping the 3D projection takes a trip through the rest of the USA.

And the release of a new Herzog film brings gifts beyond the film itself: we always get a new round of Herzog interviews. For example, here (via Kottke):
"The Polar explorations were a huge mistake of the human race, an indication that the twentieth century was a mistake in its entirety. They are one of the indicators.

"Adventure doesn’t feel right anymore. And something doesn’t feel right with artists anymore, the whole term. If you look at contemporary figurative art, you can tell there is a crisis of the term there."
And here:
"Sounding deep into the abysses of time, and into the origin of the modern human soul. It’s strange, I’m now doing a film with death-row inmates, and as a general umbrella title, I thought about “Gazing Into The Abyss,” and then I thought that would have been a fine title for the cave film. It fits for almost every film I’ve made. Bad Lieutenant, Aguirre, you just name it.

No comments: