24 May 2010

A thought after watching the LOST series finale.

At the end of the series, I was tired of the Island. I started watching LOST in the middle of the third season, after the ending had been announced and the plot started rolling. For the last several years I have spent a far too much time on pop-culture escapes*, holing up in my apartment for a week, watching an entire seasons of some TV show and trying desperately not to think about the future. Hours and hours, trying to stare through the screen of my laptop into someone else's world. LOST and its layers of mystery…

It's no real spoiler to say that "letting go" is a theme of LOST. Which is weird for a show that spends so much time trying to hook you, to make you keep on watching, to get you invested in theories, characters, and mythology. But with a new job and a new city — and an apparently bright future — it's clearly time to put these little vices behind me to whatever degree I can. To get off the Island, so to speak.

And though the creators surely didn't have this interpretation in mind, I am taking that beautiful final scene as a valediction for adolescent obsessions.

*I mean, not exclusively: I did serious things during this time. I'm talking about one theme among many.

No comments: