08 March 2010
Bad ideas.
I wrote something for the League on Friday and Saturday, realized it was sort of dumb on Sunday, and posted it anyway on Monday. The first comment is right: I do make mountains out of molehills. I spend lots of time on conceptual points with no direct application to anything at all. Sorry! But I'm not going to change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
FWIW, it's important to illuminate these points. Just blowing it off by saying, well, people participate in markets or form governments to serve their interests, while true, is also an oversimplification.
Sure, maybe most people don't give it as much thought as you did or focus on the distinctions, but those are important to determine the process by which we arrive at conclusions and actions. And while good processes don't necessarily lead invariably to good outcomes, it is a damn sight better than relying on incoherent processes even if they arrive at good outcomes sometimes.
Thanks — I am very glad you got my point. I really wish I could hook my moral-philosophy stuff into policy arguments, but I know just enough economics / public policy to realize I don't yet know enough. Since I'm a blogger, this probably shouldn't stop me, but, you know.
Post a Comment