01 July 2008

A book review as lovely as a tree

It is always a pleasure to read Alan Jacobs, and never more than when his topic is something a little bit off the beaten path. Today, his review of some books about trees came up at Books & Culture, and I think it's worth checking out, as it meanders from Garrison Keillor to J.R.R. Tolkien to Gerard Manley Hopkins to flying squirrels.

~~~~~

The posts have gotten shorter because I've been spending my spare time on The Lord of the Rings, and I doubt that anyone wants status reports on Frodo &co. As for The Beauty of the Infinite, I'm in the section on the Trinity, and I'll post any money quotes I find that don't contain extensive quotations in Greek, French, or German. But as soon as I finish these books, I'll be moving on to more Alasdair MacIntyre and possibly some history, so expect the dry spell to end in a few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this link—what a delight! Jacobs wove this book review together as intricately as any root system. (For a more exuberant piece, he might have added a bit about the Lorax or perhaps that cinematic gem Ferngully).
I hope all is well! Mind the trees.
--crm